Tuesday, November 11, 2008

River


Trudging through the woods
Limbs bent over under the new snow’s weight
As if bowing to some unseen god

Certainly not me, barely competent in snowshoes

I lose the trail again, or it loses me
And I trace the power lines down to the open field

Flinching at the crackle of each breaking branch


Past the defrocked priory I pick up my pace

Swinging my arms rhythmically

I approach the first approximation
Of the Stations of the Cross

Although there’s little sign of suffering here

Only silence and spooked deer

Descending to the river


I follow them, unsure of the trail

And the future that awaits

Trusting in the truth of the river

Black and alive as it flows

Ice clogged to Wellesley and beyond
I break my gaze and let it let go of me
Steeling myself for another ascent.

No comments: